Thursday, November 20, 2008

In case you were wondering what pie I made

I was not planning on taking a pie to pie night. Making pie intimidates me. I have made some before but always with help from my mom and I just didn't want to do it myself and mess up. But my sister, Mariah, said that I needed to make one and even offered to come down to my house the morning of pie night to help me, so I decided I would make a pie.

Casey's Grandpa Finch had given us a bunch of Apples for helping on his farm. I knew I would make an apple pie and I wanted it to be the best apple pie ever. Mariah brought me her pie book that has like 20 different recipes just for apple pies and we decided on a Caramel Apple Pie, with a crunchy streusel topping, drizzled with caramel. It sounded delicious! Everything went smoothly as we made the pie.

This is the pie before going in the oven. Isn't it pretty?! In the bottom of the crust (which I made by myself!), there are little cut up caramels, then the apples are piled high on top!
(Mariah ended up cutting all of the apples for me. She's the best huh?!)

This is the pie after adding the streusel topping and then finishing baking.

After the pie cooled for one hour, I added the yummy melted caramel to the top.

It looked absolutely perfect.

I couldn't wait to eat it.

My first pie by myself, minus the apple cutting :)

Hooray!!

And...

The finished product...

This is what happened when I put the pie down on the cooling rack to get hotpads so I could take the finished product to show casey, which tipped the cooling rack, sliding the pie onto the floor, head first, ruining my beautiful pie before anyone got to see or taste it!

Obviously I was very upset, and I had just done my makeup- ugh. But I needed a picture so Casey stepped in.

Casey told tried some, okay alot, and loved it. I decided after 3 hours of making and cooking the pie I better try some too. It was soo good even all jumbled together.

Maybe I'll be brave and make it again.
Maybe for Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

Maddy said...

that is so sad!! Pies take a lot of time too. At least you know it tasted good so the next time you make a pie you know it will be great! I'm impressed you made your own crust. I think that's the hardest part.

Matt and Becca said...

How tragic!! I'm very impressed with your pie skills. I'm still too scared to try making a crust by myself. You've given me the courage... :) Have a great thanksgiving!

Joseph, Julianna, Mason and Eli said...

I have to make the Thanksgiving pies all by myself this year and I'm super nervous. :S Will you post this recipe? Looks yummy!

Frances said...

Looks amazing!!! I'm going to try to attempt one myself... I'm miserable at making pies.... wish me luck!

Frances said...

YOU'R PIE IS AMAZING!!!!! I loved making it, the directions were perfect! YEAH for pies!!! I never considered myself much of a baker, but it was delectable! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

naomi megan. said...

oh no! that is so sad, andrea! i'm glad you guys still ate some of it... it looks absolutely wonderful!!

is it bad that i drop my food all the time and still eat it? one of these days i'm going to get so sick....